The Academy will continue remote instruction for the first nine (9) weeks of the school year in keeping with our partnership with WSFCS.
The first day of school is August 17 and the last day of the first nine (9) weeks is October 22.
Additional information will be provided as we get closer to the end of the first nine (9) weeks. Read the full letter to parents on the Academy's Coronavirus Updates page.
Fall 2020 Meal Service Information
Posted August 25, 2020
School Meals Pick up and Meal Delivery Locations & Times
Beginning Monday, Aug. 17, breakfast and lunch are available for pick up only at certain schools* on Mondays and Thursdays. Mobile Meal Sites are also available.
*Note: The Academy at Middle Fork is NOT a school pick up location.
Back to School 2020 Letter for Families
Posted July 21, 2020
We hope this letter finds all of you safe and healthy. We know that many of you have been wondering how school will look for the fall and we hope that this letter will provide you with some beginning ideas of what to expect. The Academy will continue remote instruction for the first 9 weeks of the school year in keeping with our partnership with WSFCS. The first day of school is August 17th and the last day of the first 9 weeks will be October 22nd. Additional information will be provided as we get closer to the end of the first 9 weeks.
Over the next few weeks, the Academy will continue to make plans and provide updates to you about student expectations and schedules for the upcoming year. Open House and additional beginning of the year sessions will be held to provide additional information and answer all questions families may have about the new year at the following times:
- Tuesday, August 11, 2020 (Kindergarten and 1st Grade)
- Wednesday, August 12, 2020 (2nd Grade & 3rd Grade)
- Thursday, August 13, 2020 (4th Grade & 5th Grade)
Morning virtual Zoom sessions will take place at 9:00 am and in-person sessions will take place at 6:00 pm at The Academy on these days. Families will not have to attend both sessions.
The Academy will continue to use Schoology as our main platform for remote learning.
Students will engage in daily Zoom lessons with their teachers around reading, writing, math, science and social studies. These lessons will provide teachers a chance to teach new material and explain the assignments for the week.
Families should expect that students will be engaged in remote learning through Zoom sessions and completion of assignments on Schoology each day.
A weekly schedule, the Hiker’s Trail, with Zoom links will be provided through Schoology each week. Teachers will also share this schedule through Class Dojo so families are aware of the week’s events.
Daily student engagement will be tracked and students are expected to be online with their teachers and complete all assignments by the due dates determined by their teachers. Teachers will be grading assignments and offering feedback to students on a weekly basis.
Student classroom assignments will be mailed the week of August 10th with a detailed schedule for the first 2 weeks of school. The schedule will also be posted on Schoology with links to each of the sessions.
Teachers and administrators will hold virtual office hours each week for students and families. These times will be shared by teachers after student schedules have been finalized.
We are so excited to work with you in the 2020-2021 school year. We know that we will face challenges but we also know that we can make adjustments and work together to make it successful for you and your family.
Special Update: COVID-19 from the EC Division of the NC Department of Public Instruction
Posted March 16, 2020
Please view the Special Update: COVID-19 (PDF, 276 KB) from the EC Division of the NC Department of Public Instruction.
March 13 Letter to Parents
Posted March 13, 2020
Dear Academy parent,
The Appalachian State University Academy at Middle Fork’s emergency response team has been monitoring the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and has been working closely with the university to plan, prepare and best serve our families.
We have also been reviewing guidance from the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools (WS/FCS) district and local and national health organizations.
The following information is in accordance with these guidelines and recommendations.
Parents, visitors and volunteers
- Parents and visitors are limited to the front office for visiting with students and/or staff. This includes delivering food items for birthdays and/or dropping off your student’s lunch.
- The Academy’s volunteer program is suspended until further notice.
Field trips and non-instructional activities
- All off-site field trips are canceled or postponed until at least April 9.
- All afterschool and non-instructional activities, including tutoring, PTO events and rehearsals, are canceled or postponed until at least April 9.
- If your child attends Imprints Cares please contact them directly for scheduling updates.
- Plans to provide school lunch pick-ups from the cafeteria are in progress. We will update parents as more information becomes available.
- The Academy is actively planning to ensure that there is no instructional interruption in the event of school closure. These plans include the following provisions:
- Teachers will work to provide students with alternatives to in-person instruction, including but not limited to Zoom, Khan Academy and Cool Math.
- Students will receive materials packets for completion at home.
- Travel to areas with active community transmission is strongly discouraged. Please note those who travel out of the country may have difficulty re-entering the United States or may be asked to self quarantine for 14 days.
- Please utilize the following resources to assist in making personal travel decisions:
- Latest travel guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel
- COVID-19 information from the U.S. Department of State (State Department): travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html
- The International Air Transport Association’s list of travel restrictions: www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm
How you can help
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises staying home when you are sick, regardless of your diagnosis.
- Teach children to better protect themselves and others by washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or the time it takes to sing the Happy Birthday song twice
- Encourage kindness and consideration and talk with your children about their worries and concerns
- We will provide updates to families as information becomes available. Please visit middlefork.appstate.edu/coronavirus-updates for the latest information.
- Please visit your public health department website for local information.
- Please visit the NC Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) website (www.ncdhhs.gov) for the latest information on North Carolina’s Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) response.
- Please visit the App State Coronavirus Information website (www.appstate.edu/go/coronavirus) for information and updates from Appalachian State University.
This situation continues to evolve rapidly. This website is updated regularly. Please continue to visit for the most updated information.
If you have any questions, you may reach out to our office at (336) 748-4090 or (336) 750-2311. You may also email the principal at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Director of Curriculum, Dr. Snow at email@example.com.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.