In accordance with Governor Roy Cooper's Executive Order, The Academy at Middle Fork will be CLOSED for the remainder of the school year.
Please continue to watch for additional information as we work to continue to support our students and families. Visit the Academy's Coronavirus Updates page for additional updates.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Response in North Carolina
- Please visit the NC Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) website for the latest Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Response in North Carolina information.
- Please visit the App State Coronavirus Information website for information and updates from Appalachian State University.
Now Enrolling for the 2020-2021 school year! All NEW families interested in attending the Academy in the fall should complete the online registration form to begin the enrollment process.
¡La Matriculación para el año escolar 2020-2021 esta abierta! Todas las familias NUEVAS interesadas en asistir a la Academia en el otoño deben completar el formulario de inscripción en línea para comenzar el proceso de inscripción!
Welcome to the Academy at Middle Fork
Appalachian State University Academy at Middle Fork provides a balanced education for children, teachers, principals, and families through the implementation of research-based practices, state of the art literacy instruction, and exemplary classroom instruction and administration.
About the Academy
The Reich College of Education at Appalachian State University has partnered with Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools to establish the Academy at Middle Fork.
Serving Grades K-5
Appalachian State University Academy at Middle Fork will offer services for grades Kindergarten through Fifth Grade starting in the Fall of 2018.
- Our goal is for the Academy to become a model, demonstration school, and resource for children, families, professionals, and partners
- The Academy will foster relationships and partnerships with surrounding community organizations and educational institutions
- The Academy will continue to partner with WSFCS under existing (and potentially new) partnerships and MOU agreements
- WSFCS will run a PreKindergarten program within the school building and under the administration of WSFCS
Applications will be accepted during the annual enrollment period January - June. Interested families should apply during this time.
- Children currently enrolled at the Academy are eligible for admission as well as students from the WSFCS who are currently enrolled in a low-performing school or did not meet expected growth in the prior school year based on one of the following indicators: grades, observations, diagnostic and formative assessments, state assessments, or other factors, including reading on grade level
- Families with eligible children are asked to declare their intention to enroll through the completion of an application form that is available in the school office and time-stamped
- Eligible students are accepted in the order in which the applications are received and by grade level and school capacity
- Target enrollment is 315 pupils for grades K-5
Data & Test Results
The Middle Fork Advisory Board of Appalachian State University will meet virtually. The meeting will be held according to the following schedule:...
Kim Britt, originally from Kernersville, North Carolina, earned a B.A. in science and birth-kindergarten education from Winston-Salem State University...
At the beginning of the 2019-20 academic year, the Appalachian State University Academy at Middle Fork’s Green Team received a $2,800 JustPax Fund (...